Click a link below for related post:
- Phyllo Pastry Money Bag Filled with Orange Blossom Pastry Cream
- Mulberry Project - Layers of Vanilla Mousse, Pastry Cream, Fresh Mulberries, Toasted Walnuts, Homemade Mulberry Jam and Banana Cake
- Daring Bakers' Challenge - November 2010: Crostata
- English Trifle
- Go Back to Recipes for Grabs
Yield: about 1 cup
1/8 c milk
1 T cornstarch
3/8 c milk
3 T sugar
1/2 vanilla pod
1 T (15 g) butter
- Dissolve cornstarch with 1/8 c milk.
- Combine egg to the cornstarch mixture. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, combine 3/8 c milk, sugar.
- Slice the vanilla pod vertically in half, and scrape off the vanilla beans.
- Add the vanilla beans and vanilla pod into the sauce pan with the milk and sugar.
- Bring the milk sugar mixture to a boil. Remove vanilla pod.
- Pour 1/3 of the boiling milk into the cornstarch mixture, while stirring constantly.
- Then, pour back the cornstarch mixture into the milk sugar mixture while stirring constantly.
- Put the saucepan back to the stove. Bring the mixture to a boil while whisking continuously.
- Once the mixture has thicken, remove from heat then add the butter.
- Transfer to a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap directly onto the pastry cream to prevent from forming a skin.
- Chill until ready to be used.
**Recipe adapted from Peter Kump's Baking School in Manhattan