Click the link below for related post:
Yield: enough to fill 4 cupcake-sized egg tarts
Ingredients:37 ml water
37 g sugar
1 T cornstarch
170 ml milk
1 egg yolk
1/2 t vanilla extract
- Combine water and sugar in a saucepan, and heat until it boils. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a bowl, dilute the cornstarch with a little of the milk first (to make sure there's no lumps) before adding the rest of the milk.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla into the bowl containing the milk mixture.
- While stirring the milk mixture, add the sugar-water mixture on a slow steady stream (don't add everything at once to avoid cooking the egg yolk).
- Place the whole mixture back into the saucepan, and cook on low heat while stirring constantly.
- The mixture can be removed off heat as soon as it thickens up or it can coat the back of a spoon.